Soneva Kiri Coral Restoration project is now 18 months in the making.
Click on the picture above to see a short video of the current status.
So far the progress is excellent.
- Solid growth with good survival rate
- 69 species of fish (25 more than expected)
- 20 Pelagic species such as Brown Striped Snapper, Thumbprint Emperor, Tiera Batfish, Orbicular Batfish and 3 kinds of Rabbit Fish, which have settled in the direct coral area.
- 49 Benthic species
The Soneva Kiri Coral Restoration project is 40 metres long and 12 metres wide. 34 structures (18 igloos and 16 quarter moons) have been constructed. Metal frames are used with an electrical current from solar panels running through to encourage better growth.
1,850 corals of 27 species were transplanted and 30 tons of live rock incorporated. The 27 species of coral grafted on the reef consists of:
- 4 species branching corals
- 2 species of “platter” corals
- 21 encrusting corals
The Coral Restoration projects is implemented and overseen by Coral Reef Creators, a Thailand based company specializing in coral restoration and underwater landscaping. Soneva Kiri is a resort located at Koh Kood, Thailand.
Coral Restoration 15 Months
Baa Atoll Bioshpere Reserve
Soneva Sustainability Report 2011-12
IUCN: Integrating Biodiversity in Hotels
Norway Pays USD 167M to Brazil to Stop Deforestation